Smokin’ hot Bourbon & Chipotle BBQ Sauce!
Ingredients Makes about 2½ cups
- 2 tb oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1x 400g tin tomatoes in juice, all chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika, if you can get it
- ¹/³ cup cider vinegar
- 1½ cups watermelon, seeded/or pineapple if you prefer that. Does give a more distinctive flavour.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tb Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tb chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1-2 tsp salt & lots fresh gr. black pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion & garlic until onion is soft.
- Add ground spices, stir 1 minute then add vinegar and boil up, scrapping base of pan.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer on low 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as it thickens.
- Process until smooth and check for heat and seasoning.
- Use as a baste to make BBQ roast or grilled chicken, ribs, steak, sausages etc. Serve extra with pork or beef ribs to double dunk in!
This is the best ever BBQ sauce and you will love it – tone down the chilli powder if you can’t take the heat. But don’t leave out the chipotle chilli in adobe sauce, that’s what makes this sauce so deliciously smokin’ hot! And the watermelon odd as it may sound, add sweetness and a hint of fruitiness to balance out all strong flavours.
This sauce freezes really well, and lasts 3 -4 days in the fridge should you have any left over!
So what to do with your fabulous Barbecue sauce? Well I mainly make it to go with my roasted Pork Spareribs, using it as a baste for the final charred blast, but it’s almost as good to cook chicken pieces in it for the best ever Chicken in BBQ Sauce (aka Chicken in Hot Sauce!).
Use it to give a real zap to grilled sausages, burgers, steak or lamb chops. Or spoon it over sour cream on top of jacket potatoes. Really tastes good with everything!