Eggs Baked in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Chorizo and Cannellini Beans
Looking for a brunch or breakfast dish that ‘s a little bit different? Like to kick-start the day with a punch? Then this spicy recipe is for you. Try it for a tasty change and if you like spicy like we do – you’ll probably love it – like we do!
Adapted from a classic Spanish tapas dish, I’ve made it more substantial by the addition of the white beans. It could easily be a light lunch or supper dish with the addition of some crusty bread and a salad. Spicy, quick and simple, but tasting great and made from a few simple ingredients – what’s not to like?
Ingredients SERVES 4-6
- 1 tb olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 long red chilli
- 1-2 hot chorizo sausage
- 6 tomatoes
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & black pepper
- 1x 400gm can cannellini beans drained & rinsed
- 4-6 eggs
- fresh coriander leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 180° C/350° F
- Chop onion, garlic and seeded chilli, , remove casing from chorizo and crumble.
- Heat oil in large oven proof frypan or saute pan, fry onion till soft, add chilli and garlic and fry till soft and golden.
- Add chorizo, breaking up limps and fry, add cumin, stir then add rest of ingredients except beans. Cover and simmer on low about 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans, cover and simmer another 10 minutes. When sauce is nicely thickened, make a well, break each egg into a cup then slide into each depression. Cover and bake in oven 10- 15 minutes until whites are set.
- Garnish with coriander and serve from dish.
- Nice served with crusty bread or toasted Turkish bread to mop up the yummy sauce. Enjoy!